Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Man Beyond Words



My heart hurts today. I cry for a woman that is undeniably amazing, I cry for people that make up the family of an incredible man, I cry for 228 Winding Lane, and I cry for another family that was without a doubt fortunate to be raised next door to 2 of the most wonderful human beings on the face of this Earth.

Wilbert E. Brandon, "Wib", or Wib-head as my Dad called him, became the angel he was always meant to be today.  I imagine that if he had any say in it with God, his wings are distinguished with Chicago Cub emblems on them, with the hopes that he will still see them win a World Series someday from the BEST seats in the house!  He was a man of many characteristics, but the only ones that I ever knew or saw were kind, loving, passionate, loyal, trustworthy, honest, dependable, and humble to name a few.  While he was not related to me by blood,  he very much was apart of my family in my heart. 

I grew up next door to this wonderful man, and many of my childhood memories involve him and his wife.  For as long as I can remember, I have ALWAYS considered Mr. and Mrs. Brandon apart of my family, they were my grandparents next door.  The memories that flow through my mind right now are those of Mr. Brandon whistling at my brothers and I through his bedroom window as we pulled in the driveway coming home from ballgames.  It never failed that he would be there waiting to find out if we won or lost... no matter how late it was.  Through that same window, you could always count on there being a HAPPY BIRTHDAY sign to whoever's birthday it was in my house.  He had this super cool blue mo-ped that he would take out for a spin around the neighborhood especially when his granddaughters were visiting... I was lucky enough to be considered apart of that special group of girls and he never left me out.  I remember hot summer days walking next door to find him sitting in a lawn chair out in his garage watching his favorite baseball team on an old tv with a box fan in front of him, his huge freezer full of popsicles which he always remembered to give me anytime I was over there.  He was there... always.  Birthdays, baseball games, school programs, trips to the hospital, barbeques, moving day, family losses, even the funny moments such as your oldest brother falling through the ceiling (true story) or your other brother crawling out the back door because of smoke from a piece of burnt toast!  Even after we moved to Texas, him and his wife were still very much apart of our lives.

I consider my family, the family that grew up next door, just as blessed as his real family to have known and loved him.  He truly was one of a kind and to know him was a privilege.  I can garuantee that anyone that knew him would say the same thing.  He loved us unconditionally... he may not have said it very often, but we all knew and felt it.  I don't know what heaven is like, but I do know that it just got a little bit better.  What I adored the most about this man is his gentle eyes, his loving smile, and his hearty laugh.  I will miss him everyday, but I know he lives in my heart and he is watching over all of us from above.

Rest in peace Wib.  I hope heaven is filled with a comfy chair, remote control, tv, and a winning cubs season for you!  Thank you for being the man you were to my family and loving us like we were your very own.  I LOVE YOU!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A tear has fallen for you, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Very well said Jennifer. Only thing you left out was his laugh when he told the story about Philip crawling out the back door yelling "fire" and it was just a piece of toast burning. LOL! We will definitely be Cub fans this week. Rest in Peace Wib!! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss Jennifer. I know he was a very important part of your life and that you thought of him as family. He will be missed by many. My thoughts and prayers to you, Philip, Tim, your mom and dad and to Dorothy and Mr. Brandons family.