Monday, November 14, 2011

RACK'ing



Today was one of those days where I feel like things happened for a reason.  Have you ever had one of those days before?!  Well, mine started of with all of the fun Thanksgiving activities I had planned for my little firsties.  We were doing an "I am thankful for..." activity when one of my sweet little boys touched my heart with his writing by saying he was thankful for what he has and how it made him happy.  A little back story on this special kiddo... he lost his mom this summer to cancer.  To hear a 7 year old tell you that he is just grateful for what he has in his life is heart wrenching, but also very humbling.  As the day went on I decided to visit one of my favorite little family blogs  and saw this sweet post.  Now I've seen a lot of this on my new obsession with Pinterest, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cara's idea about making this a family tradition.


So often we take life for granted and the blessings that God has given us.  So this holiday season my family and I are starting a tradition of giving back.  Hopefully this is something that we can continue to do each month through out the year since people are ALWAYS in need, not just at Christmas time.  My hope is that by sharing this idea, it will spread to each person that reads just like it spread to me by reading Cara's blog!  So, put on your thinking hats people and let's all do away with the selfishness and join in the RACK'ING fun!!  You never know who's heart you could potentially touch!


Here is what my family had in mind for our random acts of kindness!

1. Donate books to a daycare, pediatricians office, etc.

2. Tape quarters to vending machines around town.

3. Buy a hot cocoa for a Salvation Army bell ringer.

4.  Adopt an Angel from the Angel Tree.

5.  Tape candy canes & happy notes to cars in a parking lot.

6. Bake & deliver goodies to our local fire station. 

7.  Take donuts to our local police station along with thank you notes. (Cliche I know!)

8.  Call an animal shelter to see what they are in need of and make a donation.

9.  Pay for someone's meal in the drive thru.

10.  Leave goodies for Caleb's swim teachers & daycare teachers.

11.  Donate to the food pantry.

12.  Give the janitor at work a little holiday cheer with an unexpected gift.

13.  Deliver balloons & treats to the children's hospital.

14.  Make cards & treats for a local assisted living center.

15.  Tell a soldier thank you and buy him a meal.

16.  Bake Christmas goodies for neighbors.

17.  Donate clothes and toys to a homeless shelter or church.

18.  Leave a "Christmas tip" for a server at a restaurant.

19.  Mail a "just because" card to an old friend... old school style.

20.  Pass out little stockings of candy to the airport workers since we will be there that day!

21.  Help someone load their groceries into their car.

22.  Give movie giftcards to a sweet couple or teenagers for a night of fun.

23. Pass out $5 giftcards to Barnes & Noble, and Starbucks.

24. Take an all night drugstore employee a Christmas surprise.

25. Read a Christmas story and sing carols as a family. 


Remember... Kindness is Contagious!  I hope it got a hold of you and you spread a little holiday cheer yourself.  Please leave a comment if you plan on doing this or something similar with your family this holiday season!   



 

No comments: