Monday, August 19, 2013

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be nomore, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore,for the former things have passed away.”




I sit here tonight full of mixed emotions.  I should be in bed due to the fact that I have to go to work tomorrow, but my heart is too heavy to sleep.  Last Wednesday, my "Weebs" (grandma) fell ill.  When my mom called me to tell me that it wasn't good, I was in the car with Caleb.  I began to cry uncontrollably in front of him.  As soon as he saw me crying our conversation went something like this:

Caleb:  Mommy, why are you so sad?
Me:  Well, Great-Grandmother isn't feeling well and she is probably going to Heaven soon.
Long Pause....
Caleb:  Don't worry Mommy, Heaven is a happy place and you will get to see her again one day.  You still have me, Lily, Daddy, Grandma & Grandpa, and Great-Grandfather too.
Me:  You're right baby, Heaven is a happy place and I am so blessed to still have all of you with me.  I will just miss Great-Grandmother.
Caleb:  I know Mommy, but it will be ok.

My sweet little boy had so much wisdom in that moment of sadness, he had that same wisdom tonight when I sat down with him to tell him that Great-Grandmother left us to go live in Heaven.  I was in the middle of giving him his bath when I told him that she passed away.  He looked at me and said, "She will be ok Mommy, she no longer hurts and she's happy in Heaven."  How incredibly true those words are.

My heart still hurts knowing that my grandmother has left us, but I find peace in the fact that she is in a place where there is no pain, hurt, tears or sadness and she gets to live an eternal life with her Savior that is full of love, grace, comfort and happiness.  Instead of focusing on the sadness, I'm going to think about all the memories of Weebs.  Things like homemade pies (usually pumpkin or lemon meringue because of my brothers) and cinnamon rolls, hanging clothes on a clothesline, a blue-ish purple three wheeler, fresh vegetables from the garden, lots of sweets, playing card games like "you know" (that's how she pronounced UNO), dressing up in her jewelry and bright red lipstick, coin purses,  getting voice messages from her that sound like she's reading a letter and ending it with LOVE GRANDMA,  birthday cards that weren't signed so we could re-gift them to someone else, her kind and gentle spirit and most of all her laughter.  Once you got her started she couldn't stop and the best part about it, was that it was always contagious!

I'm so grateful for this summer and that I was able to take my children to spend time in Illinois with my family.  Weebs was able to meet both of my children... four generations, that's pretty rare and special, just like her.  She truly was one of a kind, there is no question about that.  I hope that when I get my chance to be with her again, she will have a piece of pie and a game of "you know" waiting for me.  I love you, Weebs.  As much as I will miss you here on Earth, I know you are so happy to be home. 


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, my friend! Love, Tovah